PARENTING VICTORY : MY ADULT WITH SPECIAL NEEDS AND MENTAL CHALLENGES


"I CAN DO ALL THINGS THOUGH CHRIST WHO STRENTHENS ME"..
Philippians 4:13

...My  daily reminder. I got this!  It gives me great peace and strength that can only come from Christ.



This summer has been the most difficult time since 2014.  In 2014 Remi graduated from high school. Remi loved her high school experience. Although academically Remi was capable of doing more than what was expected of her in school. But that's a whole different story. Remi loved seeing her friends and having the same routine everyday. Her biggest love was riding the bus. Her bus pick-up time was 5:15...not good for mama!! Which just killed me for 4 years. But Remi LOVED IT!! 

After graduation for the next 2 years it was hell on earth. We went to several therapist and psychologist to find out what was going on. Remi was diagnosed with bipolar by some and others couldn't give me a clue of what was going on. This was an extremely difficult and stressful time to say the least. We were spending all of this money but no clear answer to a diagnoses. 

So I shared what was going on with friends that had special needs adults that had just graduated from high school. To my surprise some were experiencing similar challenges or had heard of other parents dealing with the same issues after high school. What I realize was happening was a lost of self-identity and joy that she found in her regular routine of going to school for the last 17 years.  We tried to keep Remi as busy as possible with extracurricular  activities and taking a couple of classes at the community college. But nothing was really taking the place of her regular school day. 



The hunt was on for a suitable day program which took around 2 years to find. During this 2 years period I called on God like never before. I felt like this season was worst than when she was having seizures all the time. Her behavior effected the whole family, her sister's as well as my marriage. Abusive behavior, physical and verbal was a part of our weekly sometimes daily journey. But we knew that was not our Remi. We knew if she had a choice she would not behave like this. 

We'll this summer was a recap of those 2 years. Remi is currently in a 11 month program. During the summer she's off with her sister's. This summer she wanted to return in August instead of waiting until September when her siblings return to school. This was fine with me, I'm hoping things will go back to what we consider normal.


What Got Us Through The Summer:


1. Hope and Love
    We knew this was not our Remi. If she had a choice she would not act like this.

2. Pray,Pray,Pray
    I prayed daily for strength and wisdom. For God to give me peace and understanding. My husband      and I prayed together as well as getting special prayer at church.

3. Never Argue Back
    I remembered and reminded my husband arguing back will only result in more frustration on both      sides. You must stay calm. Saying nothing is very powerful.

4. Striving to Keep a Calm House
    This is definitely easier said than done. We have an extremely busy and loud house old so this was      a challenge for us all.

5. Controlling Stress
    Controlling my own stress was very helpful in keeping the house calm. Picking and choosing my         battles was a must. I had to let more things slide than I normally would.

6. Having a Summer Routine
    Keeping Remi engaged in activities  was a huge help. Having friends around and keeping a              regular  summer routine decreased anger outburst and depression.


I hope my journey will give you a little hope and know your not alone.



















Comments

  1. Prayer always. I have two special needs aunt. I'm now 41 and I've always known them to be in a day peogram. They tell me, "Boo, me go to school." They love a routine, socializing and just being them. So glad you found something for Remi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Momjonz thank you so much! Remi loves her program and we are all so happy that she's happy. One day at a time and plenty of prayer and praise. Blessing to you and your aunt's! Thank you so much for visiting!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

THE CURE FOR LIFE: MY STRENGTH IS MY FAITH

Loving Pass Bipolar